Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Taylarn
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Feline and Wolf
Job/hobbies : Writing, Drawing

PostSubject: Alterhumanity   Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm

In otherkin and therian communities elsewhere, there's been skirmishes over who exactly could identify as otherkin, or what would happen to those who do not completely fit the definition of otherkin or therian. The issues pop up once someone considers the definition of otherkin as it currently stands: a person who identifies on a non-physical level as nonhuman. There are other communities out there that don't entirely fit that definition, and so cannot associate with the otherkin community personally due to not being otherkin. So, a new term was coined- alterhumanity, referring to being different from humanity, usually in a way that is outside the scope of normal humanity or human identification. This can and often does include otherkin, but can also include furries, multiples, copinglinks, and even physical shapehifters, as many have started placing them there, outside of the particular otherkin and therian label but inside of the alterhuman umbrella.

My question is, to any of you here, how well do you identify with the term "alterhuman"? Do you consider yourself alterhuman? If so, anything particular under the label, or just as a general alterhuman of some sort? If you do not agree with the term or identify with it, why?
Back to top Go down
http://shapeshiftershaven.boards.net/
Nekoman
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Neko (half cat)
Job/hobbies : I'm good with animals.

PostSubject: Re: Alterhumanity   Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 am

Wait... What exactly is "alterhuman"?

And now for a run-on sentence based mini-rant.

Great, another unofficial term for me to learn the increasingly fine distinctions of while official psychology continues to label in broader and broader terms in recognition that the mind is far too variable to reasonably define aspects of it in specific terms, just like how there are hundreds of recognized unofficial sexualities which psychology only gives a passing glance under the umbrella term of the ever changing acronym LGBT-whatever it is now. (Does it still end with "Q+"?) Why can't people just adapt terms to fit changing definement needs like scientists do?
Back to top Go down
Taylarn
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Feline and Wolf
Job/hobbies : Writing, Drawing

PostSubject: Re: Alterhumanity   Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am

Nekoman wrote:
Wait... What exactly is "alterhuman"?

The official definition as defined by as defined by it's creator is"A category of personal identity which encompasses identification that is alternative to the common societal idea of humanity."

It was coined mainly as an umbrella term for all sorts of non-human and "alternate" identities that intersect along those lines, as using otherkin as the sole umbrella term for nonhuman things doesn't really work once you factor in things like fictionkin (which may have fictional human identities as their kintype, which contradict the "non-human" part of otherkin) and those who identify with a certain creature strong enough for it to be a part of their personal identity, but do not identify as being it, as well as those who may identify as non-human but cannot fit under the otherkin or therian label for whatever reason. So alterhuman was coined as a way to fix these problems, and is what everything falls under now.

It is a largely optional term-you don't have to use it and take it on as a personal label for yourself if you do not wish to (and was in fact created with that in mind), although there are communities that are listed there as examples or otherwise meeting the definition of alterhumanity.
Back to top Go down
http://shapeshiftershaven.boards.net/
Sutekh
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Me
Job/hobbies : Energy work and ESP

Your Kin self Information Sheet
Name of your kin self : : Many names
What is your kin type ? : Primordial
Describe it Physically : : if you mean how it looks, well amorphous energy able to take multiple forms both human and nonhuman.

PostSubject: Re: Alterhumanity   Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Personally I don't follow otherkin community fads, I actually really despise otherkin communities due to the growing delusions they have with appliancekin, fictionkin, 101 kin in one soul kin, and so on and so forth. This is the only otherkin community I actually choose to be in because the fads dont come here. However, looking back in my time in the otherkin communities I find this is probably something that will blow over soon or tumblr will blow it out of proportion lol.
Back to top Go down
http://kinsanctuary.com/
ZhongShi
Loyal to the Family
Loyal to the Family

Kin/Therio type : OTHER
Job/hobbies : Too many to list

PostSubject: Re: Alterhumanity   Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm

AlterHuman...Hmmm. By the authors own defintion, a blanket term. The sense of identity that comes from belonging within a group, or groups of fellow beings with any variety of attributes that bestow upon said group "special" or "exotic" abilities has been sought after since "man" first walked upright. Most everyone seeks out friends and companions with similarities in dress, music, interests... it's the nature of sentience. The problem arises when ego is involved, and, with the richness of language, differentiation becomes more and more prevalent because those coming up with the new label wish to feel as if they are more special that the others... Just my observations.
When it comes right down to it, it's all just words and how one might choose to describe themselves. There isn't any "right" or "wrong...it just is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alterhumanity   

Back to top Go down

Alterhumanity
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Silver Pack 2 :: THE DISCUSSION FORUM :: General Discussion-
Jump to: