~Lydia~
Admin
Admin

Kin/Therio type : Snow Leopard
Job/hobbies : Reading, writing, Music, drawing, research,

Your Kin self Information Sheet
Name of your kin self : :
What is your kin type ? : Snow Leopard
Describe it Physically : : Long floofy tail with spots, blue eyes with a splash of yellow around the pupil, is about three feet tall, two feet wide, including the tail about four feet long

PostSubject: Mental illness and therians?   Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:47 pm

So, recently I've noticed that a lot of therians and otherkin (not all) have some form of mental illness, may it be insomnia to even Bipolar. I feel like this could be used against therians and otherkin in several ways. Some even call therianthrope a mental illness. Well my theory is that Therianthrope is not caused by mental illness but is the cause of mental illness. I've read several articles that even though aren't fully proven try to explain how mental illness can be a coping mechanism. We know some for sure are coping mechanisms like D.I.D (Dissociative Identity Disorder) for example, but not all can be proven. Here is a quote from a website that explains it.

"First and foremost, the one thing that is clear to me is that no one calling the National Empowerment Center comes from the “Beaver Cleaver” family. Be it parents, consumers/survivors, siblings, lovers, spouses, or friends, there is always some trauma involved when the story is told: poverty, death of a parent at an early age, abandonment, divorce, incest, alcoholism, drug addiction, neglect, etc. And then the story continues the same. Some time later on in life, always a stressful time in life-off to college, wrestling with sexuality in the teen years, the birth of a child, the death of a parent, a divorce or broken love relationship-it happens. Mania, psychosis, panic attacks, depression, obsessive-compulsive behavior, agoraphobia-these all of a sudden appear in those who have never known such things. Why? Well think about it logically. Trauma may not cause mental illness, but we all have our breaking points. And I think those of us who are not lucky enough or able to find a socially acceptable way of handling our stress, a way that does not too drastically interfere with our day-to-day lives, may end up becoming manic or going psychotic. What better way to leave behind a reality that is too cumulatively painful than to create one of our own…as in psychosis? What better way to feel like we can accomplish and do anything when we are feeling insecure and overwhelmed than becoming manic…where we can do anything and everything? And what better coping mechanism can we find than to wash our hands fifty times a day when we are feeling so unsafe? And if the world has been a cruel and unforgiving place, where but in the safety of your own bedroom, as in agoraphobia, could there be a safer place to be?
Some would say that mental illness runs in families-that it is genetic. When I was growing up, alcohol was the way in which my Irish Catholic family coped. I watched it all my life. So when I ran into trouble in my early twenties, alcohol was the way in which I self-medicated and tried hard to make the pain go away. My girlfriend down the street grew up in an Italian Catholic family. Food was the drug of choice in her home. Whenever anything emotional happened-a death, a birth, a wedding-food was what was used to stuff the feeling. So when my friend’s husband left her with two small babies when she was 18, she started eating and did not stop until she had gained 50 pounds. And the same is true with so-called mental illness. If you grow up with depression, suicide, mania and psychosis as role models for coping mechanisms, the more likely you may use these as ways to cope when the need arises."

Well let me get to the point, my theory is that mental illness is a coping mechanism for us, being born in the wrong body, feeling like something is off our entire lives, and missing where we came from originally.
The pain and sorrow experienced daily by a therian or otherkin is enough to drive some to insanity.

But hey that's just my theory, I haven't done extensive research on the topic but I think it's a legible theory.
What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Cypress
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Otherkin
Job/hobbies : Stuff...

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:15 pm

It sounds logical to me. I know I became extremely depressed when I fully awakened to my otherkin side because of the knowledge of all the things that I feel as if I should be able to do. I'm extremely uncomfortable in my own skin and have little way to control it. My phantom limbs are there whether I focus on them or not. I also struggle with anxiety, OCD, and mild agoraphobia. These issues really exploded when my phantom shifts started to become as strong as they are now. So, I suppose it makes sense that the OCD and agoraphobia would be my way of trying to find something to control around so many things I can't.

The Earth is Singing
Back to top Go down
Ahki (Ki)

Kin/Therio type : Weredog and Shaman
Job/hobbies : Tattoo artist and Kennel Nurse

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 pm

I would even argue, that how much of this is mental illness, and how much of it is society, TELLING us its mental illness? Now obviously, anyone on medication for their issues, should for sure keep doing what they're doing according to their doctor's orders. Shamans are seen mainly as being schizophrenic. I exhibit a lot of these mental illness signs, but it augments my spirituality and the way I look at the world.

At the end of the day, MOST people have SOME form of mental illness. If people want to make fun of us, that's a pretty un-creative way at getting under our skins.
Back to top Go down
Taylarn
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Feline and Wolf
Job/hobbies : Writing, Drawing

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:50 pm

I would say...yes and no. I've seen some studies to state that mental illness increases with stress and lower economic levels, so there is definitely an environmental factor there that most likely has to do with stress and dissatisfaction with one's life, and I do believe in some cases the pain and discomfort of being in the wrong body would cause mental health issues, along with society's treatment of said people, whether it's simply not being taken seriously or something else.

That being said, I don't think therianthropy and otherkinity is a mental illness on it's own, at least not across the board. There are some who don't experience issues with being a therian and/or otherkin, nor any mental illnesses despite being therian or otherkin, so it doesn't apply everywhere. If someone is having trouble with their own therianthropy and otherkinity, that might qualify, but generally if something is not distressing or having any ill effect on an individual mental health professionals will not be quick to diagnose them with anything.

Back to top Go down
Silver Black
Big Boss
Big Boss

Kin/Therio type : Naerubie
Job/hobbies : Singing, gaming, drawing, horseback riding, Asian cooking & food, computers, Paranormal researcher & more , learning bout animals, piano, video montages,

What is your kin type ? :
Describe it Physically : :

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:06 am

Therianthropy for me is both physical and spritiual. Nothing psychological. ik its weird lol.

i think it causes things like depressions or anger management. 

mental illnesses ? does that even exist lol ? 

we're all sick in many ways, even '' normal people  '' are . xD

so i stopped thinking bout it.
Back to top Go down
http://silverpack.forum-nation.com
Setaru
Ancient Member
Ancient Member

Kin/Therio type : Me
Job/hobbies : Energy work and ESP

Name of your kin self : : Many names
What is your kin type ? : Primordial
Describe it Physically : : if you mean how it looks, well amorphous energy able to take multiple forms both human and nonhuman.

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I notice a lot of kin and occultist have autism or DID, I believe in mental illnesses but I notice a lot throughout the otherkin community many try and remove its entire existence which I find to be a detrimental part of the otherkin community because in doing so you're telling people they're mental issues is made up..no it's very real and they deal with it on a daily basis. I see all otherkin as a spiritual thing because it's the soul to me not by blood, nor psychological, at least real otherkin, while psychological is more of a mental identity that could be seen as a mental illness i.e DID. But like Tylarn said I don't see otherkin as a mental illness on its own but there are factors within quite a few otherkin who have mental illnesses.

At least in my opinion.

My OCD is more around things having to be done a certain way perfectly among other things.
Back to top Go down
~Lydia~
Admin
Admin

Kin/Therio type : Snow Leopard
Job/hobbies : Reading, writing, Music, drawing, research,

What is your kin type ? : Snow Leopard
Describe it Physically : : Long floofy tail with spots, blue eyes with a splash of yellow around the pupil, is about three feet tall, two feet wide, including the tail about four feet long

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm

let me try and clarify, I don't think therianthrope is a mental illness, I think it may be the cause of mental illness in so many therians and otherkin. As a way of coping that they were born in the wrong body
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and therians?   

Back to top Go down

Mental illness and therians?
Page 1 of 1