Ancient Member
Ancient Member
Taylarn

Kin/Therio type : Feline and Wolf
Job/hobbies : Writing, Drawing

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 pm

What are Dragons?

There are a great many different varieties of beasts out there that have been labeled or could be labeled as dragons in one point of time or another. Dragons are usually depicted as being scaly winged creatures, either benevolent or malevolent, and often with magical powers. Some believe that they existed on Earth once, while others believe they are specifically a spiritual or inter-dimensional group of creatures. Dragons, however, come in many shapes and sizes, and many different cultures and places have heard of or known of a "dragon" at one point or another.

What Were They Like?

Dragons, having never been confirmed to exist on Earth, have no defined set of personality traits or ideals that can be called upon. However, we do know a lot about their physical traits throughout the ages, and the cultures they were said to have come from.

Some common dragons and their physical traits:

Chinese Dragons- Long serpentlike beasts with two pairs of legs, and horns. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], made up of many different animals.

Hydra- Multi-headed dragon, with no wings and two pairs of legs.

European dragons- Dragons commonly depicted as six limbed creatures, possessing wings, and two pairs of legs.

Lindworm- Wingless dragons with only one pair of legs, and the ability to inject venom into its prey. They are considered Wyrms, a bigger subset of dragons that are like Lindworms.

Wyvern- Dragon with one pair of wings, one pair of legs (like modern birds) and a spiky clubbed tail. Was said to have the ability to inject both venom into it's prey, and more rarely breathe fire.

Drak- Similar to the Wyvern but multi-headed.

Cockatrice- Dragon like creature, shaped similarly to the Wyvern, but with the ability to stare down prey and kill it right then and there. Some myths state that they can do this instead by breathing on their prey, and a cockatrice is said to be born when either a toad or a snake incubates a chicken egg.

Naga- Dragons who resemble a cobra. They are usually depicted without arms and legs, but when they do have them, they usually have two pairs, arranged similarly to the Chinese dragon.

Neek- Similar to Nagas, except they have multiple heads and no limbs.

Myths and Misconceptions

There are many myths revolving around dragons to this day. Now, let's tackle some of the more common ones:

All dragons are elemental beings/spiritual creatures.

Not all dragons are like this. In fact, there are a great many who were dragons but were like regular Earth creatures otherwise in habits, function, and design.

All dragons were fire-breathing lizards with scales and huge wings.

Not true. In recorded mythology, dragons actually started out as huge serpents, gradually gaining the features that now make up what mainstream society perceives as a dragon. There are many dragon types, such as the lindworm, and the well known Chinese dragon, that do not share these features.

All dragons could fly.

Actually, there are a lot of dragons in mythology that couldn't fly, and even ones with wings were rarely mentioned as being flying creatures.

Some sources:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Feel free to ask any questions, or contribute information if needed.
Back to top Go down
Liudan
Liudan

Kin/Therio type : Divinekin
Job/hobbies : OGP job, and Energy work and ESP

Your Kin self Information Sheet
Name of your kin self : : Nature
What is your kin type ? :
Describe it Physically : :

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 11:20 pm

In some beliefs Wyvern were considered different from dragons, but at the same time part of the same family as "distant cousins" of sorts due to their size, build, and unable to have any form of "breath" instead had a venomous bite. I think that's pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
Nekoman
Personal Advisor
Personal Advisor
Nekoman

Kin/Therio type : Neko (half cat)
Job/hobbies : I'm good with animals.

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Here's a fictional documentary about how dragons are scientifically plausible. The time is 1:39:10. Enjoy your science!

Back to top Go down
Silver Black
Big Boss
Big Boss
Silver Black

Kin/Therio type : Naerubie ( celestial wolf guardian )
Job/hobbies : Singing, Gaming, Cook at a Sweden restaurant ( but i prefer asian food ), drawing, swiming, dream shift

Name of your kin self : :

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 6:17 pm

THE LAST DRAGON, I LOVE THAT DOCUMENTARY. ahahah first time my mate saw he was crying because he tought they discovered a real dragon skeleton. Poor baby... xD

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-  -  -  
Back to top Go down
http://silverpack.forum-nation.com
Drago
Loyal to the Family
Loyal to the Family
Drago

Kin/Therio type : Dragon
Job/hobbies : Walking, Digital Art, Video Games, and I work at Lowe's.

Name of your kin self : : Fenviingspaan
What is your kin type ? : Dragon
Describe it Physically : : Green Dragon, the Size of a Wolf, canine in skeletal structure.

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 8:27 pm

I am a starseed dragon. But still, I consider myself a dragon.
The only difference between me and earthling dragons is that I'm signifcantly smaller.

PS: I had to type this on notepad and copy and paste it hwere because I can't see what I'm typing in the forums.
Back to top Go down
Liudan
Liudan

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 1:51 pm

There's also that dragons were never humanoid unless they were half-lings or they reincarnated and developed it as the humanoid form was never a thing among full blood dragons.
Back to top Go down
Zanblade
Co-owner
Co-owner
Zanblade

Kin/Therio type : Winged Manticore
Job/hobbies : Swimming, Drawing, Badminton, Drumming, Chatting and Gaming.

Name of your kin self : :
What is your kin type ? : Manticore and Dragon hybrid

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Hmm on some forums I've seen people claiming that they have like some sort of dragon essence? Like they are part dragon alongside what their kintype is. What's that all about? Is it like they had a dragon in their family line or something else?

'' If the world breaks, You are the one which will bring it TOGETHER.

There are many teachers. Some teach you to blend in and be 'normal' while others teach you to express yourself. Which one do YOU choose? ''

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Liudan
Liudan

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 7:21 pm

There are some beliefs of dragons as guides and some do believe they become what their guide is, but I honestly never heard of dragon essence, though I also had a friend who was draconic who our friend who was more advanced than him used her energy to help his development, as she was also draconic but their situation turned out to be something specific.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dragons Overview Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Overview   Dragons Overview Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragons Overview
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~ Silver Pack ~ :: SHAPESHIFTING :: Otherkin Shifting :: Otherkin Species Information :: Mythical Creatures-
Jump to: